PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2000, 10:54
Cyclic Hotline

Unhappy

Oh well, you probably can put this plan to bed and continue with the preparations to join an airline!

ABZ P&J 14 July 2000

MPs call a halt on oilrig safety switch

MPs told oil giant BP Amoco last night to halt plans to replace stand-by boats with helicopters, pending industry-wide talks on North Sea safety.

The united front was established at a meeting at Westminster of MPs in favour of considering the proposals, those backing safety boats, boat operators and the main offshore unions.

After the near two-hour meeting, Inter-Union Offshore Oil Committee (IUOOC) secretary Rab Wilson said: "There were forcible arguments on the safety issue." It had been a very positive meeting.

Mr Wilson denied the unions were totally opposed to the use of helicopters, claiming there could be instances where they were better and others where boats were the answer.

He said: "One positive move would be for the company to cease their helicopter rescue plans so we can have an industry-wide discussion about safety offshore."

Aberdeen North Labour MP Frank Doran, who convened the meeting, said : "There was unanimity that BP Amoco's proposals will affect the whole of the North Sea oil and gas industry.

"It is not appropriate for such an important proposed development in offshore safety to be handled by one company alone. The whole process should be opened up and be transparent."

He said there was agreement at the meeting to approach ministers and the Health and Safety Executive, adding: "The aim is for BP Amoco to open up this whole process and make the research they are doing available."

Western Isles Labour MP Calum Macdonald, who broke ranks earlier to demand the retention of safety vessels, confirmed the agreement for an industry-wide approach. He said: "If BP's proposals go forward it will affect other oil companies as well. We are writing to encourage them to engage in these discussions and will ask the Government to ask the company to do so."

Aberdeen South Labour MP Anne Begg said: "I have a number of constituents working offshore. My first concern is not just upholding the existing safety regime, but improving on it.

"That may mean a mix of helicopters and safety boats – the answer may not lie with just one or the other."

Falkirk East Labour MP Michael Connarty said: "There was concern on my part that BP have not thought this through."

David Hekelaar, managing director of Viking Stand-by, with 28 boats and 600 employees, said: "I am pleased that the MPs and the IUOOC representatives have taken the view that this is an industry-wide problem and not just a BP Amoco issue.

"I am hopeful that an acceptable solution will be found where the best method of providing offshore safety is established."

Jeremy Daniel, chairman of the Emergency Rescue Vessels Association, said he was "delighted at the unanimity of view that there has been – that before we can start building the right safety structure we have to call a halt to the plans which BP Amoco are making on their own".

BP Amoco's proposals involve replacing 17 stand-by vessels with four helicopters offshore and two onshore, improved survival underwear and wrist-watch size personal radio locators and platform-launched fast rescue boats.

The fear was other companies would follow, putting the future of 115 boats and 6,000 staff at risk.