PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help ... I really do want to become a pilot ...
Old 18th Jul 2005, 17:42
ImageGear

Oooowwww

It must be Luuuvvvv,

No seriously, I learnt to fly in Capetown when an hour in a C150 was R12:60 an hour and a Piper Apache (Fred's) was R25.00 so I feel desperately for the people trying to start now.

I will only say what I said to my heir apparent,

1) Immerse yourself in every single facet of aviation that is free.

2) Hang out with, drink with, chill out with and learn the language of the industry.
3) Join a club, AS A MEMBER, hover (Don't get rejected by the earth) around Hangars, Aircraft, Pilots, Instructors, ATC people, if you can - the Tower.
4) Want it so bad you can taste it, smell it, feel it and touch it, ache so badly to leave ground at any opportunity, beg for rides as pax or baggage.
5) Write the exams - study like it's the only way you are going to get off the ground.
6) Get a friend who is close to a simulator, any simulator, beg.

7) Only take a job which is directly related to what you ultimately want to be, a bank manager will take years to earn enough to pay for it so find an in.

8) Don't let anyone shake your faith in YOU and your abilities.

Finally, listen for the spoken and unspoken opportunity, the increased interest in what you want to be, focus in on it and raise the stakes.

People get sponsored, even today, people are helped, and bank managers can make it.

- and when you have done everything that you can, keep on doing it because you will always wonder what you missed.

- and just maybe you will live the dream!

Imagegear