PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetRanger around the UK
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2005, 16:44
Grainger
PPRuNe Enigma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MONDAY 4th JULY
The day dawns grey and wet.

Oh well, I've allowed for a day or two of bad weather when planning the trip. Perhaps today will be my first non-flying day of the week. Gloomily, I watch weather reports on TV until about 10:00 am when they sky brightens. I phone Dunkeswell and receive better news: it's clear and bright, although rather gusty. That's OK. Windy I don't mind - rotten visibility is a different story. Encouraged, I call a taxi and head to the airport.

The taxi ride is only ten minutes but by the time I get to the airport, I'm greeted by this view:

A huge cell has formed right over the field ! Now I really don't like doing my check 'A's in the rain, so I take refuge for a while in the fire/refuellers' mess room, and the crew ply me with cups of tea in return for stories of my trip. Thanks guys !

Eventually, it brightens enough to get my refuelling and check 'A' done, and I'm off again, heading southwest. Essentially a straight run down the M5 to Taunton serices, it's made rather more interesting by further showers and cells. However, the visibility is good so I can see far enough ahead (about 20 miles !) to avoid them. Onto Filton and then Bristol, and I route via Thornbury to the bridges and down the coast past Avonmouth.

I was once engaged to a girl in Thornbury so it makes a good landmark. I try to spot the pub where we used to go... I think I see it, but I'm not sure. I wonder what she would have thought if I had said that in 24 years' time I would be flying over this very spot...

As soon as I'm clear of the Bristol Channel area, the sky clears - it seems all the poor weather was blowing straight up the channel. At Taunton services I leave the M5 and head inland for Dunkeswell - the highest airfield in the UK. It's a gusty approach but no problem for the JetRanger, which feels much more stable in these conditions than the Robinson.

The guys have an overnight parking spot arranged for me right next to the bowser and the refuellers are out almost before the rotors have even stopped.

The weather's much better at Dunkeswell !

My brother and sister in law are waiting to meet me. I'll be staying with them for a couple of days. Now don't get me wrong, I love travelling - but after three very busy days, the thought of a couple of days in the same place is quite appealing and I'm really pleased to see them.

TUESDAY 5th JULY
Today the plan was to go down to Truro, have lunch in the Victoria Inn, and then round Land's End and back to Dunkeswell. But this time there's a warm front that just won't quit. Even down by the coast it's socked in and Dunkers is at 839 feet, so there's no point even thinking about flying today.

That's OK - I had planned to have one non-flying day midweek, so might as well be today. We visit some caves and a brewery maltings while the rain pisses down.

WEDNESDAY 6th JULY
Tonight I need to be over towards London, so there's no time to make it all the way to Truro and Land's end. Anyway, the weather's still coming in from the Southwest, so we decide discretion is the better part of valour and settle for a shorter trip down the coast and enjoy some spectacular scenery. We get as far as Dartmouth then head back inland to Dunkeswell. Lunch for us in Dunkeswell's excellent restaurant (I had two puddings !), and another drink of fuel for G-GAND. Sorted !

Once again, everyone at the airfield has been splendidly helpful, friendly and efficient. Refuelling, parking, help getting weather and NOTAMs off the computer - thanks everybody !. Definitely one of my favourite spots and well worth a visit.

The next leg is a route I've flown several times before. I'd originally planned to stop at Denham to visit my old pals at Heli-Air but it turns out they have now moved to High Wycombe, so that's where I'm headed. Nice overnight parking spot, and a room in a splendid country pub - thanks Aileen !

As I tuck into my pie chips and peas supper, I wonder if I've finally manged to outrun the rotten weather. There was no way I could have known that tomorow, the weather would be the least of all our problems . . .