PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 310R's in the Bush
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2005, 14:28
Spotlight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaunty

Quite so with the technique. The 210 is possibly the most prone to exhibit the characteristics of which you speak. New pilots on type can not know the vagaries of a particular airplanes W&B, without that they listen. Gone are the days I think, of a keen fellow delving into the very unhelpful manual of an old Cessna to do a page of mathematics to estabish a MAC. Only to find that the only benefit was practice as the Elevator Trim Indicators particular relationship with the angle of incidence of the servo tab can be arbitrary to say the least. Screw drive wear, engineer dyslexia when driving an inclinonimeter, cable stretch all add error. Oh, and the dicky little bent indicator needle dropping a notch or three on the trim wheel.

Its been a long time since I was told (and subsequently advised) that if the tail comes up your okay. (Cessna singles only)

Sorry! Senior moment, this is about light twins isn't it?

The purchase price of the Aztec and Commander are considerably lower than the 310 and Baron. Hmmm?

All the talk about landing gear strength is crap unless you know what you are talking about. 58 Barons have a problem with spar box cracks if operated away from tar, as the Bonanza. Once repaired thats it! Other consideration is the use of magnesium in a number of components. It does not like salt air. There has been a SB requiring expensive replacement of elevator skins on some serial numbers. And wing bolts. Spar box and wing bolt status must be established before purchase. As for the rest its the same as the 310, the odd tie rod end breaking, bushings, shims and rigging. Occasional shock strut seals. The odd flap motor or gear motor gearbox giving out. (O/H times also to be checked pre-purchase).

Then again, what am I saying? Aeroplanes are all expensive.

I must admit to a chuckle over the previous posters advocating VGs for the 402. The grief that bright idea caused!

And Gaunty, I am sure you know the old shoe slide followed by a lasso type catch of the Baron rudder lock. Saves on chiropractor expenses.

Last edited by Spotlight; 18th Jul 2005 at 19:20.