PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typhoon Close Call At RIAT
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2005, 03:50
Ali Barber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tigs2, I didn't intend the red card comment to be seen as any kind of punishment. I was merely explaining what I believed the procedures to be based on what I saw when I was on the circuit many moons ago, albeit with nothing like the performance available to the Typhoon! We were red carded ourselves, although nothing was bent and nobody was injured. We had a comprehensive debrief and eventually figured out what had gone wrong and took steps to ensure it wouldn't happen again.

I have no problems with him displaying the next day, but was a bit surprised that he displayed again the same day. Having said that he was allowed to display the same day. Having said that, I've seen guys who have scared themselves, been red carded and did a very "slack" show the next day - very understandably. There may be something to getting him back in the saddle as soon as possible, provided that was inadvertant, the lessons were learnt and he wasn't trying to do something "extra special" to get himself into that situation.

As for the seat comment, I accept that he was probably in parameters having seen that F-16 Thunderbirds cockpit video. But, as someone else commented, I wonder (out of idle curiosity) if he ever contemplated using it or was too busy tying to bend the stick and get that extra bit of turn rate!