PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Supersonic Rotorcraft ...
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2005, 21:46
Dave_Jackson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mac the Knife

The Magnus effect is an interesting one but it may not have enough 'effect' for helicopter rotors. The related Coanda effect has been used on helicopters, but its 'effect' is also somewhat marginal.

Some trivia; The world most innovative helicopter builder, Anton Flettner, built a ship that utilized the Magnus effect.

Graviman,

There will be aerodynamic rotor-to-rotor interaction on all craft with twin rotors (inc. main+tail), with the exception of the side-by-side configuration. The web page UniCopter ~ Vibration considers vibration and 'wasted' thrust on the Intermeshing configuration.

On the Interleaving configuration, the greatest vortex coming from the retreating blade will be at the tip. You will notice on sketch 1441 that the retreating tip is basically outside the fuselage, plus it is below the other rotor.

I don't understand your disk loading concern,

quadrirotor,

Heck.. It looks like it's built for 'show' not 'go'.

tecpilot,

I agree, there would be a lot of shocking things in trying to take a rotorcraft through the sound barrier. Think of the blades having to go into and out of supersonic three or four times a second.

Perhaps my reference to supersonic should have gone on the 'Hallucinations' forum.

Dave

Last edited by Dave_Jackson; 18th Jul 2005 at 16:58.