PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone flown the Wessex?
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2002, 19:27
Arkroyal
Just a numbered other

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

Lu,

One of your questions remains unanswered. The Wessex never had a radial engine, If I remember correctly an S58 was delivered to Yeovil, whereupon Wastelands immediately fitted the Napier Gazelle, used in the HAS 1 and 3.

For the HC 2 (RAF) and HU5 (RN) they fitted a pair of Bristol Siddely(?) later RR Gnomes which by then had proved a good engine in the Whirlwind (S55)

The Gnome was a license built T58 (also used in the Lotus Indy turbine car 56?)

To complete the series, the HCC4 applies to the Queen's flight pair.

Oh, and BearintheAir, yes I could (unless of course you refer to the ship!)

Tough old bird too. Downbirded in the Falklands, I had to leave my Wessex in an exposed position for two days whilst a storm raged. turned through 180deg by the wind, and received no damage at all.

As for the old 'boot laces tied behind the cyclic' gag, there was another good wheeze if you were a bored copilot. Whilst the pilot carressed the cyclic lightly betwixt thumb and forefinger, you could cup both hands over the top of your stick, and whilst holding it in position, motor the pitch trim fully forward. Sit back, release stick. It flies forward out of the pilot's hand and produces a couple of seconds of negative G and much swearing fromm the now wide awake right-seater!

I'd told some bloke about this , and was most dis-chuffed when he demonstrated his humour on me. We were at about 25ft at the time.