PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone flown the Wessex?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2002, 02:24
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

When I read about tying the Co-Pilots shoe strings around the cyclic I should have known that the Wessex was not the Sea King or as I had indicated the S-61 which I believe is the Sikorsky model number for the SH3-D from which it was derived. In case the readership is unaware Sikorsky tried gas turbines in the Navy version of the S-58 (HSS-1). It used two GE T-58s however it was never placed in production. That was around 1955-56. I do not know when Westlands’ incorporated the RR gas turbines relative to the Sikorsky design. Agusta built the S-61 in three versions. The original design, which was used on offshore btransfers, the SH3-D and a shortened version of the S-61. This model was not well received and had limited or no production. An outfit in Washington State developed a model similar to the shortened version of the S-61 and it was called the “Shortsky.” This was accomplished by removing one or two sections of the fuselage and putting the fuselage together again. I believe this version is used in logging operations because of the increase in AUW.