PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone flown the Wessex?
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2002, 03:58
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Wink

Gawd, that sounds like a beefer

Thanks for the refresher on the HAS1 & 3 , the HU5 and Mk60 were certainly better endowed, with 240rrpm, transient 205 to 258 (extremes, 210 SE to 243 power on). Torque limits were 3520psi/20 secs, 3200 continuous. CRPM was 25,300 max continuous, 26,750 max contingency. Max gross IIRC 13,600lbs. I don't miss watching those gauges whiz round one little bit, and the memories of chuffing around in the HAS1 & 3 under the ambers just makes me go cold

No sonar and radar to haul around, though, made for a bit more capability.

Remember the HAS3 that towed the water skier on the rescue hoist, across Chesil Beach? Opened a few grockles eyes when they lifted him out of the water at the very last moment as the water met the sand.

Maybe a few other Wessex stories, like Leading Edge climbing up the outside one dark and gloomy night in the hover, and knocking on the pilot's window? Or the fun of the back seat crew tying the non flying pilot's bootlaces together, behind the cyclic, and watching when he tried to take control? Dry winching at Culdee, with Mike Lehan paying out 50 yards of cable, then reefing in the power so the poor stude (me...) was looking at the co pilot every time I swung under the Wessex

[ 01 February 2002: Message edited by: John Eacott ]</p>