PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - " 20 feet or 6 inches?"
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2002, 02:57
Legalapproach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FL

Have used all of the above but then I seem to recall that I learnt from a Master during my pupillage.
In addition to the soto voce (not) "Oh really" and "Oh for goodness sake" I find that rising with the words;. ."While I appreciate my learned friend is extremely experienced and obviously is trying to make a valid point, I am a little concerned as I fail to understand where this is leading"

Judge usually responds with "Yes, well Mr Bloggs, where is this leading?" whereupon opponent has to explain what he is trying to achieve or if realising he is in difficulty in explaining says "I believe I have made the point and will leave it there"

Alternatively if you know your judge, find an excuse to see him in his chambers and tell him what a c*** your opponent is! Of course, personally I would never try this and I understand that it generally only works if you are blonde, leggy and appearing in front of Mr Justice Deed!

Earpiece

Re contempt, the Contempt of Court Act 1981 applies to publications (which could include a bulletin board) which create a substantial risk that the course of public justice will be seriously impeded or prejudiced. This topic was considered in a thread on the Southend Drugs bust some months ago.

For my part, having read the contributions on this thread I don't think that any of the comments recorded in this case would amount to contempt. What might amount to contempt would be publishing information that had been or would be withheld from the jury ie previous convictions or excluded evidence (none of which applied in this case in any event) and the test is whether the course of justice would be seriously impeded or prejudiced.