PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 206: JetRanger and LongRanger
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2005, 05:30
chuckolamofola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From and ole mech's point of view:

1. I don't mean to be critical, but I wouldn't ground or unground an aircraft based on information from the internet. Suggest you consult your local Bell CSR or Product Support Engineering if you are that concerned.

2. Nick's wrong and PF#1 is correct, though Nick did relent and say they may not split: There won't be a split as there is enough airflow from the engine at idle to keep the turbine up to rotor speed during an auto. The only time that I can remember seeing a split is after shutting down the engine you will see a split if you don't use the rotor brake and let the engine spool down.

3. PF#1 is wrong and Nick is correct: At idle the N2 governor is inoperative. Don't believe me, use the N2 governor beep switch to beep up or down, note the N2 doesn't change. I've disconnected the N2 beep actuator to adjust the rod end and moved the N2 governor lever back and forth, it had no effect.

4. Regarding N1 idle speed setting, we always set the idle speed to the max side due to the fact that when operating in hot weather, if the idle speed was on the slow side we would sometime get a flickering Xmsn Gbx Oil Press. light

5. As mentioned before, if you rotate the rotor by hand in one direction and it turns the turbine and then in the other direction and it doesn't you don't have a stuck clutch.

6. The 206 has a free wheeling unit that allows the rotor to turn free in one direction and locks the shaft in the other direction. Inside of that free wheeling unit, is a "Sprag Clutch". So yes there is a clutch on the 206, but it is not a series of roller bearing. It's hard to explain what the Sprag looks like but they don't roll, but act more like wedges so that they lock the shaft to the outer coupling when the engine is producing more torque than the rotor. If the rotor produces more torque, such as in an auto rotation then the outer coupling can rotate freely around the engine output shaft.

So after all this diatribe, what did "vaqueroaero" do with his aircraft, did he change the free wheel unit, call Bell PSE or just keep flying his aircraft? Stay tuned folks for tomorrow there will be a new episode of "As the Rotor Turns"

Chuck

Last edited by chuckolamofola; 16th Jul 2005 at 05:41.