PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest news of the V22 Osprey?
Old 16th Jul 2005, 04:52
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paco,

What if you found out that the tilt rotor had a Catagory A landback distance could never fit in a heliport?
What if your study showed that with the same payload and range, the helicopter always had an OEI envelope that was 1/3 the landback distance, and twice the rate of climb?
What if you found out that the tilt rotor had 3 times the flight critical parts and took twice the maintenance?
What if the helicopter had twice the interior volume
These are not wise-guy comments, they are quite probably true (anyone ever seen a Cat A estimate for the 609?) and certainly important virtues for a people-mover.

I often discuss trade-offs in this way. The bottom line is that, to get the quite legitimate 50% increase in speed, you will pay in a number of ways. One way to make the penalties seem smaller is to compare the tilt rotor with a much smaller, cheaper, less powerful helicopter. This certainly "evens" the contest.
Please don't take my comments the wrong way, I believe there is a large tilt rotor market, and buyers will determine how large. Informed buyers.

Last edited by NickLappos; 16th Jul 2005 at 06:02.