PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Hospital Landing Sites
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2005, 10:12
Bertie Thruster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crab, was your "LS faff" like this one?!-------

Helicopter draught ruins gardens
Residents on a Lincolnshire housing estate have been left shocked after a low-flying military helicopter caused damage and havoc in their gardens.
The downdraught snapped trees, overturned garden furniture and dislodged hanging baskets.

The MoD has apologised for the upset caused and pledged to carry out any repairs required in gardens.

Safety concerns

Resident Ann Hempsall said: "I dread to think because normally I have my grandchildren and if it's nice we're in the garden.

"The youngest is two and if he'd have been out when that helicopter did this, it would possibly have killed him.

"It if can snap a tree in half what can it do to a two-year-old child.

"I'm absolutely gutted - I'd just got my garden looking nice.

"There's hanging baskets, ornaments, tubs all been broken and all my garden furniture's been broken.

"I still get choked when I look at, I could cry, but nobody's been hurt and that's the main thing."

Locals are familiar with helicopters - they live close to Lincoln's County Hospital and often see the air ambulance - but say this was much lower.

Freda Goodall, another resident, said: "We saw it coming over, we could hear it me and my daughter, we said that's a bit of a noise coming over.

"It obviously wasn't the ambulance one because it was so noisy."

The aircraft was on a training mission from RAF Benson in Oxfordshire when it caused the damage.

It was landing at the hospital as part of the exercise.

In a statement the MOD said: " It is deeply regretted that the downwash from the helicopter caused disturbance and distress to local residents, including some damage to property.

"The Ministry of Defence will consider all claims for any losses suffered as a result of this incident."