PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you finance your training?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2005, 05:47
Fingersmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
confed is only 2 years. i too have already got a post secondary education so i didn't want to go to seneca or even sault because they took too long. also unlike the two mentioned before confed starts their flight training right away in the first semester.

there are very few courses that you take during the two years that aren't aviation related.. well according to the program overview since i don't start until this fall. their program places more emphasis on bush flying/ops culminating in a float endorsement in the summer, and weather permitting some ski time in the winter.

if you had an A average in highschool and maintain an A average in university you shouldn't have a problem being accepted into the program.

depending on what courses you take in university you may be eligible for credits in some of the non-aviation related courses. i've applied for previous formal learning credits for half the non-aviation related courses... just have to wait and see if they accept them.

as for recommending it... well like i said i start classes this september so i have no first hand experience from the school. they're program has been around for 30+ years and pretty much every first hand account i've read from past/present students (on message boards like avcanada not the pr stuff on their website) has been positive. i first found out about the program from a friend's brother who attend confed in the 90s. he was very positive about the school and program. he was just hired by cathay pacific... mind you i'm sure, like any other flight school, there are more graduates working outside of aviation than success stories.... really what you make of your education/training once you're finished.

i guess the way i looked at it when finalizing my decision was that it would most likely take a year to do all my ratings/licenses at any other school in canada given the weather we have here. if i go to confed it costs 1/4 of the price and takes 8 months more to complete..... well worth it from a financial stand point imo.

the only downfall is that they don't offer a MIFR rating... they do the ground schooling for it but not the flying portion.

the only other thing i can say is they have a preference towards ontario residents first...

if you want any first hand thoughts or opinions about the school and program feel free to message me in fall... i'll let ya know what i think then