PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair CEO on 'shop-floor'
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2005, 01:14
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark, it's an illusion that a chief exec on the shop floor gains an insight into what it's like for the lower classes. He may gain an insight into the actual work but in truth his presence changes the whole dynamic of situation. It makes the rank and file uncomfortable and they only wish he would go away. Much like your experience, welding and cutting metal only gave you an insight into the work involved, not what it's like to do it day after day for years. When it's your life not some 'experience' for passing time until you go back to the real job. Remember he's millionaire many times over. Real check in staff are not exactly overpaid.

But that wasn't my point anyway. It's his small businessman mentality. The shopkeeper keeping an eye on the staff. Watching the pennies. Micro-management. He creates unneccessary friction. That's what I see. I've worked for people like that. They often think they are helping but often they just get in the way.

Of course he might simply have stepped in during a busy time. Maybe they were short of check in staff. They are advertising for same at the moment.

I don't know if WW is cut from the same cloth. But the BA job will reveal all. I doubt very much his actions will result in many pilots putting in claims of victimisation.