PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you finance your training?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2005, 18:13
Fingersmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there are less expensive ways to learn to fly in canada.

i'm heading off to confederation college in thunder bay for their aviation flight program. it's a two year college diploma program with flight training (cpl w/ float endorsement).

the cool thing about this program is it's completely subsidized by the government. i will only pay college tuition (plus some expenses) which will amount to under $10K. the flight training portion is covered by the government.

since i'm doing the college route i was approved for an OSAP loan (ontario student assistance program)... part of which was considered a bursary.

it's a tough school to get into and they base admission on grade 11/12 english and math marks. if you maintain a 3.0+ gpa at university you would qualify for extra selection points. i was accepted from the waiting list with B average marks in highschool and a 3.0+ gpa college diploma.

www.confederationc.on.ca

from my research into other flight training schools in canada i've noticed that you can get a student line of credit from some banks. it usually has to be a more structured program to qualify though.

another thing.. i wouldn't worry about your age. you're still young. i was worried about my age (28.. 30 when im finished training) but from what i've read i'll be fine.