PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Soton 30 yr plan launched
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2005, 15:30
ClickRich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
or do Baa move more swiftly at regional level
I'm not sure the bulk of the dithering has ever been due to BAA- it's the same long, procrastinated process that all airports need to follow to cover the planning bases.

I'm sure there are times when BAA hasn't been as sharp as it might have been in turning things round, but that's a drop in the ocean compared to the planning process they're forced down.

Although the Masterplan is for public consultation, you can clearly see what the airport want and it's their chance to get public support behind it by focussing on the benefits and nipping concerns in the bud early.

It's my unenlightened view that 2015 is a long time to wait for the 'possible' new terminal (even with the various extensions and reconfigurations of the current facilities). I notice that there is uncertainty (and therefore concern) as to whether there would be room for the baggage facilities required within these plans. With doubts like that still there should, or could, they have been more aggressive/ambitious?

What is SOU's relationship like with the local stakeholders? Might they have had to dampen their enthusiasm?

BTW, was it me or was the BBC Local news coverage of this story pathetically dumbed down or what? This is an exciting Masterplan which they filtered down to "New terminal" and footage of decorators finishing out the 1st floor of the terminal. I guess that is all us simple viewers can handle with our tiny minds Come on BBC, give us the real story. This plan is worth around 100 million quid per annum to the local economy.

Go BAA!