PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mayday Frequency
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2005, 12:42
boomerangben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are NOTAMed as not talking to VFR traffic at the moment - but don't let that deter you. from having the frequency tuned.
2D's,

I cannot fault your logic - it would seem that Lille might be able to provide an accurate fix of your position and scramble the closest SAR asset, (I am surprised that the radar controller would have a red telephone direct to a SAR helo unit - in the UK it has to come from ARCC or the Coastguard). But the above quote sounds alarm bells to me. Why are they NOTAM'd as not for VFR Traffic? Are they too busy? If so, maybe the wait to get a word in edgeways would offset any advantage using them might have?

The point about time to get rescued is a very valid one. I believe the nearest helicopter base for SAR is now Wattisham. Quite incredible that the nearest base to the world's busiest shipping lane is an hour away.
May be that is simply indicative of how infrequently these sort of incidents happen and that Manston (when it still had a SAR aircraft) was felt to be under utilised?