PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police observers - passengers or crew?
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 1999, 15:02
OBERON

Red face

In reply to marco. It would appear that mogwai has put my point across for me. The flight pay is a secondary matter. My main concern is that my employer will not be liable for a reasonable claim of compensation in the event of an accident involving my injury or death. I realise that the BHAB has addressed this point and that police forces were advised to "check their financial state in relation to this matter".
Just to touch on the financial benefits or otherwise of the job that, I admit, I chose to apply for, overtime in many smaller provincial forces is almost non-existent and, with the loading placed upon insurance policies under the heading "hazardous occupations" I believe that many police air observers may well be financially penalised by accepting the post.
In reply to chiplite, I don't know you either but from your diatribe content I am not unhappy with that situation. As mogwai points out, we are line checked every six months, both practical and written examination. My course was six weeks, not the two as suggested. I realise that that in no way affords me the right to any CAA recognised qualification but I work hard to do the best I can in, what to me, is a relatively new area of expertise. I take a pride in what I do and in the efforts I make to improve my skills base. Finally, if there were any route by which I could "put my hand in my pocket" and take a recognised qualification in my role, I would do it.