PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetRanger around the UK
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2005, 08:51
Grainger
PPRuNe Enigma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SATURDAY 2nd JULY cont...
My destination for this evening is Sleap.

I blast off from Barton, low level to the west and start to look out for my landmark for the northern end of the Manchester VFR corridor - a big triangular junction of the M6 an M62. Having heard various tales of unfriendly controllers, I'm not too optimistic but Manchester come back to me with a cheerful "sure, we can give you a flight information service" and I head due south towards Ashcroft keeping a good lookout for anyone coming the other way using the same two landmarks !

The VFR corridor is max alt. 1250 ft and there are a good few built up areas along the way. I wonder what people used to do when the 1000ft rule was a 1500ft rule.

Before long, I'm at Ashcroft and a clear run down to Sleap. Another wonderful little airfield and they have an ideal overnight parking spot ready for me. Whirlybird's waiting to greet me - we intend to fly together to the PFA rally at Kemble tomorrow.

We spend the evening poring over the Kemble AIC and planning our route into and out of the rally. We decide on Omaha to the northside. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day !