PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apache - The Scotsman Strikes Again
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2005, 08:12
Low Ball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Seater and AHQHI656SQN.

Thanks for your responses that encourage me to press on and offer you something that worked for me at a time of very poor serviceability. OK it was Lynx then but comparisons can be made.

In case you don’t know who I am my background is from Army flying training with several tours at Wallop, managing big fleets and centralized work practices, as well as regimental service.

OK for this you need to think outside the Sqn box, do not be parochial and make sure you have big cajunnas, stick to your guns it can work. It did for me.

Centralise the aircraft, give them to the REMEs, give them some norms or minimums, have tight central control over bidding.

So give the REMEs all the aircraft (biggest hurdle here will be Sqn Comds) and make sure someone, say Regt QHI or 2i/c is in charge of the tasking.

Some norms for consideration:
· Regt Ex max effort
· Sqn Ex (deployed) full compliment
· Training (daily use) 2 ac per day per Sqn
· Sqn surge trg from camp 6/8 once per month
· Have weekly, at least, planning/tasking meetings to resolve issues

You can fill in to suit your requirements. Do create norms which are achievable and which you as a Sqn can meet. Don’t have the REMEs working on and pushing out ac which you cannot use. Do handover slots that you cannot fill to the other Sqn or return the ac to the REMEs without delay. Make allowances for spare/reserve ac in your plans.

Comparison: Date 1985, location BAOR, I’ll let you guess where, Lynx pilots down to less than 10hrs per month and getting grumpy. Initiated the system and within 2 months all pilots in station were in the 20-30 hrs per month bracket. Pilots flew every day they could. 8-10 hrs per day required on the ac with hot running changes, Sqn/Flts Comds conducted full estb trg monthly and the REMEs were happy. Hell this is utopia!

If I can be of help call or PM me or visit me you know where I work. In real terms you don’t need my help you can do this it just need cajunnas.

To both of you and your pals its still a well done from us I think you are all doing a great job

LB