PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Helicopter Control Systems
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2002, 09:33
nucleus33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Future Helicopter Control Systems

I was intrigued hearing that the Commanche uses a twist grip on the cyclic rather than the pedals for yaw control.

My internet friend Dave Jackson is biased towards the synchromeshing side by side MR configuration; mostly it seems for control simplicity reasons.

I think that the future of control simplicity in civilian helicopters lies in FBW systems that are orders of magnitude cheaper due to technological advances, and mass production cost savings.

I wonder if the current developement of high voltage electrical systems for automotive applications might be applicable for light helicopters.. . . .Mainly for weight, noise and parts count reasons, currently being introduced in cars are 48 volt all electric power steering and all electric braking. Soon hydraulic pumps on cars will be old school, does anyone think that this will the case on light helicopters?

Automotive starters and alternators will are being combined into the flywheel, I think power will be on the order of 400-500 amps in order to drive formerly mechanical or hydraulic systems like air pumps or power steering

I'm interested in what people think future helicopter control systems will look like, both from what the control forms will be (pedals, sticks, joysticks?), and the technology behind them.