PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail Rotor Control Failure
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2002, 02:58
Chinook

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Had the misfortune of jammed pedals on a UH-1H a few years ago flying number three of three at low level (by day thankfully).

All the drills of control, analysis of the skid ball and crew coord were applied ... NOT!

Sadly the co-pilot asked if I would like him to get out the checklist and go through the actions, to which I replied 'F@#$ the checklist, were getting this b$%^& on the deck!!' and then I realised I had transmitted my curt, impolite and poorly phrased response over the UHF radio.

The craft was flying straight and true at 40-50 knots and a reasonable power setting for a running landing and the pedals would move occasionally of their own accord, and we did not have time to muck about.

I am always aware of the shabby CRM I displayed that day but the crew and aircraft were unharmed and I got to write an incident report instead of letters to families.

My advice when faced with a TR malfuction of any kind ...... look out the window make the world look normal if you can and land the beast the most expeditious way you can.

Walking away is a win in that case.