PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail Rotor Control Failure
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2002, 02:18
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 486 Likes on 258 Posts
MG,

I agree with you regarding the side for the wind. Which RFM is it?

Having taught on a simulator and watched many experienced pilots get themselves in a tizz, and me seemingly forever personally destined to move between left to right and right to left MR blade directions, I wanted a foolproof method of remembering.

The simplest method I have come up with is this:

Lucky side = retreating blade side. It works for all conventional helis (main + tail rotor) that I have flown. Get the nose out to the retreating blade side on the approach and get any crosswind also on the retreating blade side.Lucky side = Retreating blade side.

That way, as more collective power is brought in close to the ground with speed reduction, the nose comes round to straight ahead through increasing Tq reaction. Try a dummy approach at height to find a speed & power combination that you are happy with for the approach. Avoid soft surfaces if possible, to lessen the risk of a skid or wheel digging in with yaw applied, which might result in a rollover.

There was a previous thread on this same forum few months back, some very useful discussion on it.

[ 23 January 2002: Message edited by: ShyTorque ]</p>