PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HUMBERSIDE
Thread: HUMBERSIDE
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2005, 14:17
niknak
niknak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm amazed that you haven't latched on to the facts of low cost operations, i.e.
1 - large catchment area required, and
2 - airport management willing to take the plunge.

Humberside has neither of these, frankly, the management have been positively anal about low cost airlines for many years (and I include the pre MAN PLC regime in this category).

Unless you offer the low cost operators a good deal, which will ineviatebly mean that the airport makes nothing out of it for a couple of years, then they won't come.
It's a fact that if you offer low cost flights, approximately 30 per cent of those passengers will come back and use the airport for other flights during the next 12 months.

I admit to having a vested interest, but Norwich is the prime example, low cost flights started at the beginning of the year, and there are now a wide variety of low cost flights available and more to come, by the mid 2006 they expect to be turning over (excuse the pun) 1 million pax per year, ( a frightening thought.... )

I wish HUY no ill will, but the "head in the sand" attitude which prevailed during the development of DSA and still does, will kill them commercially.
I hope it never happens, but if they're not careful, all they'll be good for soon is a few AMS, and couple of ABZ scheduled services per day, and a good place to do training, and that's about it.