PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The AIB Strikes Back
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2005, 21:26
Taffer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The AIB Strikes Back

Around Summer time last year, I started my application process for the Royal Navy, with preference being for officer aircrew.

Had my usual visits to the ACLO, a half day out on a minesweeper, and a 3 day visit to Yeovilton - which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Went for my FATS soon after and passed for all 3 categories, with high scores for pilot and observer.

So far, so good.

Attended my AIB in the new year - I failed, with a comeback time of 6 months. It was suggested that I join the RNR to 'learn the subtle nuances of being a Naval officer'. I was rather confused by this, as I am well aware of the role of an officer, having been a member of my university O.T.C. My ACLO was similarly confused, and thought my O.T.C experience would be sufficient.

Another suggestion made was that I try to get a job with a supervisory role, to gain experience of managing people. I am now working as a dispatcher at an airport, and am responsible for managing and coordinating the turnaround of an aircraft.

My questions are:

1) Will the board be expecting a dramatically improved performance in view of the fact that I have attended the AIB before and know the ropes, as it were?

2) Is my present job the kind of thing that would count as management experience?

3) How many of the officers here failed their initial interview boards, and what did you do to prepare for the second attempt?

I'm hoping to go back to the AIB around September/October, once I've spent some time getting flying tuition.

If you've made it all the way to this sentence, thank you for reading , and thank you in advance for any replies.