PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why you should pay for your endorsement!
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2005, 07:05
Richo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the facts.

Gin

The statement you make about the reason for "payed endorsments" just don't add up.

The facts don't support your case.

Do you know for a FACT that companies are charging for endorsments, so that the training cost are relived and utilised elswhere, or is this something you have "HEARD".
In other words are you sprooking for managment, or are you justifying your case.

Lets have a think about this :

1. Pilots have always left companies for a vast number of reasons. It is no worse now that it has been for MANY years.
But paying for endorsments is new.

2. Just what is the actual number of pilots leaving after endorsment vs those that stay to work off thier "moral" obligation.
Do you have figures or is this an assumption on your part. I don't have figures, but from (a rather lot of) experiance, I find it to be quite low. This is not from BELIEF but real company operating data over 6 years.
It is my experiance that people leave companies due to dissatisfaction (for whatever reason) rather than going on to bigger and better things.

3. Operators that do pay for pilot training are still in the majority. If the problem is so dire then why don't they all do it.

4. Operators with good conditions (pay, leave etc) do trend to keep crew longer, than poor condition operators.

5. 10(?) years ago bonds were going to stop the pilots from leaving. But has it. We even see court cases lost, even though there were different circumstances in that case.

Given the above, it would appear that the decision to charge for endorsments stems more from a economic money saving culture, rather than from pilot retention problems.

It is my BELIEF that companies charging for endorsments are doing so on purely economic grounds. To say otherwise seems to be some sort of justification, either for not wanting to see the truth or accepting someonelses lie.

Companies that charge for endorsmets are generating a greater problem with both thier culture and probable pilot retention. At least with the bond system (most) pilots do feel an obligation for return of service or accept a cost. But if you pay for the endorsment then there is little keeping you there, no (little) respect or consideration for the company as they have shown little for you.

Are people paying for endorsment helping the industry?, or are that just like the bond jumpers and doing harm to us all in another way.

If you decide to pay for your endorsment then good for you, but have a think about how you really feel about your new employer and what they think of you.

NOT FOR ME.

Richo