PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Mull of Kintyre
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 1999, 22:46
piston broke

Unhappy

Seems to me all this talk of FADEC is a red herring. Clearly a lot of people have an axe to grind over various technical aspects of the new machine.
The facts are clear. The crew were grubbing just below cloudbase in filthy wx when they should have been at FL100 or home in the bar. The wreckage was just a few tens of feet above the cloudbase, exactly where youd expect to find it in the event of a sudden pull-up at the last second. I recall the report said it was in a somewhat nose-up attitude at impact. This all points to CFIT. I simply cannot imagine how engine problems could have caused this crash, short of distracting both pilots from their lookout. The sad conclusion is that the drivers werent looking where they were going.
Now why they were not IFR is a different matter, I dont know the icing situation at the time, perhaps that was the reason. If so why did they accept the trip, "company pressure"? Is pleading safety frowned on on the RAF? Was the ILS/radar at destination u/s? Why didnt the service put them in a Herc instead. Although rated for such conditions just how much experience did they actually have in real grubbing? I doubt very much. Terribly sad, and a great loss to so many.
Iam sure this post will offend someone, for which I apologise in advance, but I feel too little attention has been payed to the commonsense aspect of this event.