PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lu Zuckerman
Thread: Lu Zuckerman
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2005, 23:44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Lu, to a know-nothing UK PPL(H) R22 and Hang Glider pilot your posts with their flawless grammar, immaculate spelling and technical brilliance are and always will be an inspiration. An inspiration to find out more, to realize how much there is to know and a reminder that there are professionals and there are others.

But also that there is a rarer individual who is prepared to impart their knowledge to others, argue their corner with civility and contribute to the humour of a situation in an infectious manner.

Now, most of the guys in our HG club have some ‘graphics’ on their gliders. So, Lu, you rare individual, you are coming aboard my Hang Glider. A couple of guys from the Club helped get some small and distinctive lettering sorted today and by tomorrow my Solar Wings Scandal’s going to have your name out on the port leading edge. I reckon from there you will be able to see the action and offer some advice now and again.

It’s a great glider Lu. I know you are going to like it. It has ‘ports’ in the leading edges to stiffen up the wing at speed and relax it for landings. It has variable geometry via an in-flight tensioning device to pull the wings forward. It has .. well, its has lots of things Lu.

Now, most of our flying will be over the hills and valleys of East Shropshire in the UK. You will like it there Lu. Especially in the evening lift when it is smooth and buoyant – you can hear pots being rattled in the cottages below, you can lookout to the purple Welsh mountains and dive on unsuspecting hawks. It’s at times like that you look up at the wing and wonder who made this stuff possible. That’s why your name is there Lu.

When folks ask me what that name is out on the port leading edge I shall tell them Lu and I will tell them why. We will then stand on the edge of the hill and launch ourselves into the creamy evening lift.