PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 11th Jul 2005, 10:59
Malx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Pros and Cons of a Degree... cont.

I've got a BA in Music from Leeds Uni and it was worth every second. Being at uni taught me how to work hard (something I never learnt at school) and how to motivate myself - both things I'll need when I start pilot school in the autumn.

It also taught me that although I enjoy music a great deal, I don't love it enough to make a career out of it, and my thinking has gradually shifted towards becoming a pilot. Without my degree I couldn't have conceived of, let alone been accepted on, FTE's course in Jerez, so let no man (or woman) knock the value of university!

Word of warning though - all those in this thread who advise against going to university for the sake of increasing your employability are absolutely correct. There are far too many people wasting time and money at uni, so if you're 17 and you know that you want to fly planes - go straight to pilot school. If you want some life experience, independence and you have another subject that you want to study first, go to uni. Simple!

Malx