PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aero-tropics landing at wrong airstrip
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2005, 10:25
captain bling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aero-tropics landing at wrong airstrip

I have watched with interest as Aerotropics have managed to divert all the attention away from their operation, and come out of this very unfortunate accident relatively unscathed.

I was interested in the safety culure at Aerotropics, a company which is well known for under-paying it's pilots to save costs, and wondering if it is cutting costs in other areas, such as pilot training.

I understood that for a company which had 'won' a couple of major government contracts, whilst up against some highly regarded, safety conscious Cairns based competition, it was hardly compliant with the many Quality Assurance safety programs, which were a requirement for the successful bidders of the contracts.

I understand that an Aerotropics aircraft (a Shrike) on a routine mail-run (a subsidised government contract) earlier this year landed at an abandoned airstrip at the Old Holroyd Station, instead of the operational airstrip some 5 or 6 NM away.

The aircraft subsequently became bogged . A second Aerotropics aircraft was dispatched to assist, and it too, also landed at the abandoned and unused airstrip and also became bogged, resulting in a helicopter being used to fly in personnel to assist.

I had heard this third hand, but have had it confirmed by Aerotropics staff.

Has any one heard the same, or of other incidents involving Aerotropics?