PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HUMBERSIDE
Thread: HUMBERSIDE
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2005, 15:43
jumpseater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I realise you're beginning to lose the thread here old chap as you've now managed to drag Humberside into the third world and abject poverty, but please do me the honour of quoting me the part where I made mention of my ' support of 3 7year olds on a grain of rice for my smart trainers'. I must have missed it laughing at the engine warming up joke. It was a joke wasn't it?

In my professional career I have done quite a bit on protecting the environment from aviation, I spent over 6 years doing it. I note that Humberside doesn't even think fit to give environment the most cursory mention on its web site, let alone have a publicly available policy on it.

'Why then, if aviation is so environmentally friendly, is it recognised as one of the greatest polluters of the earth!'. Well whilst not decrying aviations impact, I think you'll find the 'car' and 'industry' are a bit of a bigger problem. So much so that you'll find that the biggest polluter around airports are the very vehicles that bring the passengers etc to the terminals. Diffusion tubes at airports I have dealt with showed consistently higher amounts of particulate matter etc 'airside' rather than 'landside', which indicated to us, that the 'crap that comes out of the exhaust', as you so eloquently put it, needed addressing through planning issues, to encourage the use of public transport, as the greater pollution risk in terms of emissions was in fact largely outside the fence.