PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near Collision at BOS between Aer Lingus and US Air
Old 8th Jul 2005, 11:31
handflying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMF quote:Tower's expecting you...he knows you're coming...controllers share information.

AMF:Lucky these twrORD controllers shared their part of information!!! And their supervisors what were they doing? Drinking
cofee or smoking a cigarette? In what type of "comfort level" were they? I don't think we allready treated that part of
the topic: all controllers are human and make mistakes (like all pilots make mistakes-that's why we are 2or3) but aren't
they followed by supervisors who should have broken the chain of errors that lead to an accident?

Even I agree in the app switching to twr case safety isn't really reduced without read-back and complying like you say is
their most important issue I think crews should be put in the picture in advance about it. What if in the Atis they would,
starting from a certain level of business, advise everybody "after being instructed to contact twr by app no readbacks are
requested" ? As we are all used to make readbacks all the time and almost everywhere you just do it and sometimes block the
frequency and use even more time!! Then it has an adverse effect! When are readbacks essential and when are they not??
Common sense maybe for you flying in there twice a week but ORD might be a very occasional destination for many pilots; some
people might not know the way they operate there every day and know what they are expected. I guess I know better then you
the way ATC wants me to operate at the apts I am flying to 5 times a month.

If deviating from standard way of operating let people know.

Another question: isn't there a way of reducing frequency occupation? Adding frequencies or is that a bad idea?or does that
cost too much? Or does that make controllers earn less money?

By the way I have nothing against US ATC, all the contrary. I think they are very good and helpfull.

HD: How many "descent on the glide"-"AFTER the departing...line up " UK differences are there? Please let me be MEGA-
dangerous and respond to your colleagues "BEHIND the...line up and wait BEHIND"-"cleared for the ILS" because pilots
fly to many countries and we can't adapt to every country's small caprices. Nevertheless I think UK atc is very well too.