PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near Collision at BOS between Aer Lingus and US Air
Old 8th Jul 2005, 02:50
junior_man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, what a lot of noise!
Some info: LAX changes runways to help get you
on the same complex as your gate. BOS uses two tower frequencies as a solution to prevent runway incursions. Looks like it needs some changes. 15R is not used often, only for acft that can't depart on the other runways due to WAT limits.
As a foreigner living and flying in the USA, I find it hard to believe some of these wild tales.
I fly in and out of BOS and LGA frequently. The controllers treat us well. They expect that your flying skills are somewhat beyond the full flaps ref + 5 on 20 mile final though.
I enjoy the opportunity to fly the River visual at DCA, the Expressway visual at LGA and the Canarsie at JFK. But then we do these things in the simulator too. Proper training helps. On the occasion that more is asked of us than I feel comfortable with, we tell the controller and get a different clearance. They are usually polite about it. Occasionally someone is a bit short about it, but I don't let that get my panties in a knot. If you can't do it, or don't feel comfortable doing it, don't accept it. The PIC is the final authority.
If you didn't like how you were handled, have you ever asked ATC for a telephone number after landing? They will gladly give you one and you can discuss how the procedures do not work with your companies procedures etc. ? If you haven't, don't bitch about it here, you should have talked to the folks who needed to know.
Yes, it is different in the USA than in the UK. There are a lot more airplanes here than anywhere else. In fact there are probably more airplanes in California than in Europe.
I have flown all over the US, canada, Mexico, Central America, Caribbean and Europe. I have enjoyed it all. It is a little bit different in each country. And on the overnights I even found some places they drive on the other side of the road.