PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much do helicopter pilots earn?
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2001, 05:31
Av8r

Lightbulb

Hi people. From what I have seen over the years at different ops around OZ, the staring pay for an IFR jock is around the 60K to 70k mark. (Usually the lower end of that range) As stated, the operators that have the 'charity' status tend to pay less but make up for it in the tax loophole, ending up about the same. Interesting to see what will happen when that loophole closes, which I believe is shortly.
However, the larger companies have, as a package, the ability to salary sacrifice certain things (as I do a vehicle), yearly increments @ $1000/year to 15 years, and several different types of insurance policies / benefits. All of which boost the package up a fair bit. I would suggest the average touring offshore captain would be on a base around 75k to 80k and about 12k of DTA’s (Daily Travel Allowance.. not taxed). SAR jocks about the same base (offshore pay scale) and 5k DTA’s due to occasional trips here and there. There are always exceptions to the rule of course, corporate flying in a nice machine would be something you would negotiate and may be well above figures mentioned here, but that’s a 24/7 job with a phone permanently attached…... they deserve it.