PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ... and maintain
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2005, 19:59
Cartman's Twin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fully appreciate that it's not your MATS Pt 1 standard but I do occasionally use it in the TMA, usually when I know the a/c will have to level as there's another chap descending to a 1000ft above. This is a precaution against the odd airline who assume they are going to receive continuous climb from departure and climb at 3000+ft/min till the last possible moment! Usually resulting in TCAS TA and occasionally RA's. I usually combine this with TI at the time of the clearance if I consider it appropriate.

If we consider an a/c is climbing or descending at such a rate that it will trigger an RA it is considered good practice to issue TI and if I know the RT is going to get rather busy I'd much rather get this out of the way early than face a TCAS TA at a time when I've hardly time to take a breath.

(And yes I also appreciate that adding 'and maintain' adds half a second to my transmission, but a TCAS RA and subsequent evasive manoeuvres take up a whole lot more and does nothing for my heart rate...)