PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Judas Balpa CC at EZY!
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2005, 13:45
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poacher turned gamekeeper; nothing unusual in that. Way back in the late 70's the BY BALPA PLC chairman entered management and became, eventually, what some regarded as a decent deputy M.D.

What might/should be of more concern is the nature of the appointment. I thought that ej was supposed to be an "open & transparent" culture with career prospects for all. (Has my cynicism just be confirmed, correctly, once again.) In most companies, of whatever hue, it is normal for vacancies to be internally advertised, interviews and selections conducted, and then the best candidate for the post, if available, appointed. This would follow the prophessed philosophy of ej, and good management technique in any industry. A differing case is often for the head honcho, e.g. chairman, to be an outside person with fresh ideas.

So why was there no advert this time? Why the secrecy? Who had what to hide? What is the hidden agenda?

This to me is more important than a CC member simply wanting to better his lot; but at least do it fairly & openly.

Another question completely. Why oh why, in UK airlines especially, do management pilots need to be trainers? It's nonsense. I've seen it so many times that pilots wanted to rise to be managers, for a variety of reasons, usually selfish. First they had to be appointed trainers; and disasterous ones they proved to be. A good natural trainer has no desire to muddle around in the political world of management. He wants to pass on words of wisdom to the troops. A person who wants to be a ladder climbing manager has no interest in instruction, rather being in power; and that attiutude is dreadful in a teacher. They are completely different animals. So why should the former need to pass through the hoop of the latter? Wierd!