PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hughes 269/Schweizer 300 series
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2001, 12:16
Hughes500

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
To answer your questions
1. Engine is still driving freewheel / clutch arrangement rather than just spinning with nothing to drive. The damage on start up occurs due to the massive accleration from 0 to 1600rpm plus. The same engine in a plank drives a prop at 2700 with no damage
2.They are not maintenance hogs, i would question your engineers. DOC's are cheaper in my experience with the exception of fuel.In the UK 300 is almost half of what an R22 is to insure. Plus you do not have a 2200 / 12 year rebuild !
3. remember the 269 series was built as a training helicopter for the US mil ( TH55). You are not interested in high cruising speed ( if you are take a 500D). However I have never worked out why some of my machines are quicker than others and have varying nose down attitudes at 80 kts.
4. Welcome to fuel injection. we pay the price for different starts against carb heat. All mine start with throttle fully open prime for 3 secs close throttle crack 1/4 inch and go. If engines is hot crack 1/2 inch and go.
5. Be kind to the engine, you can quite comfortably hover 2 up full fuel 15 degrees C at 2800rpm, yes you have to be careful. Pesonally I teach all my guys 3100rpm unless it is very hot, tight confined area or very windy for spot turns.
6. They are a very good and reliable machine. Difficult to compare to a 22. One was designed as personal transport the other as a training helicopter. One is considerably better than the other at training and they are about the same in the other role - work it out for yourself ( where does the 3rd person sit in an R22 ?)