PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hughes 269/Schweizer 300 series
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2001, 08:39
Hone22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hughes 269/Schweizer 300 series

Hi all

It's funny how questions pop up in yer head and slip away if not acted on straight away, here's a couple i hope the collective wisdom out there can help with.

1.The H300 manual says during start up no more than 2000ERPM or a overspeed condition and short shaft strip required.

How come during auto I was taught to stabilise the ERPM at 2500. Is this not overspeeding the engine?

2. Why are they such maintanance hogs?

Compare to the R22, big difference, big $$ DOC difference.

3.Great machine for local stuff but why the 45 degree nose down in the cruise (good thing the 4 point harness stops you falling out the bubble).

4.Why are they all (pigs) so different to start. Once again look at the R22, pretty much all start exactly the same turn key bruuummmmmmmm.

5. Heard lots of different opinions re keeping RPM top green 3200, mid 3100 or bottom 3000.
I personally use top green for all max performance,limited pwr, confined areas. and cruise at mid green 3100. Anyone expand on this. I've just been told if you constantly use top green 3200 the engine blows up (untrue in my experience to date).

Don't get me wrong, i have a very soft spot for the ol girl, great for autos (apart from the vertical glide path) good sized cabin (2up) good grunt (once again look at the R22) and it's like a real helicopter when you climb up into it (once again look at the R22).

Thanks for all correct answers and remember this was posted by a pilot not an english teacher .

edited to add Q5

fly Safe
Hone

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: Hone22 ]