PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Navalised Typhoon
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2005, 23:44
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
S-O-T-G,

The navalised Typhoon was offered as an alternative to the JSF some time ago. I can recall seeing information in various sources (complete with pretty BAE-generated graphics showing Typhoons of 899NAS landing on a carrier) from about 1999/2000.

I don't know if BAE has offered to resurrect the programme, but it would be extremely unlikely that it would be an interim project - it would almost certainly be an alternative to JSF, and would demand that the CTOL design CVF is chosen. MoD are currently revisiting the decision to go with the STOVL variant of JSF if Jane's DW is to be believed. I suppose that you could end up with navalised Typhoons alongside JSF, but I can't quite see it given the expense that would be involved.

Also, the question of whether a navalised Typhoon would actually work hasn't been resolved! (some say it would be hopeless, others that it wouldn't be so difficult - Jackonicko knows more about this and may answer if he passes by).

I'm sure others, more knowledgeable than I am, will be able to give a fuller answer.

Edit to add - see, I told you they would!