PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB Report Sydney Floatplane
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2005, 23:23
TurboOtter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I am so disappointed in the ATSB in this one, how wrong can they get it....
One question..
If the wind is 010 at 20 kts and you take off at 350 how do you get a cross wind of 19 to 24 knots!!!!
mmmm so the wind comes from the right and increases in strenght.

Also since when does a cross wind roll an aircraft which is already airborne. Using this logic aircraft could only fly into wind. Isn't it true that cross winds causes directional control problems whilst in contact with the ground, once off the ground the aircraft can weather cock into wind.
mmmmmmmmmmm If the pilot was trying to roll the aircraft to the right to stop the left roll, wouldn't that indicate the ailerons and rudder were trying to turn the aircraft to the right.
So wouldn't it be logical that when the uncommanded roll to the left started for the secound time the aircraft was actualling into wind with no crosswind component??? Opp I used that logical word!

Couldn't it be possible that he just got caught out be a freak "mountain wave" and a true accident happened??

Over ten paragraphs on Life Jackets, in short they want float plane operators to wear life jackets during take offs and landings over water. What a one sided coin. Maybe make ALL aircraft departing over water should make passgengers and crew wear lifejackets. All departures over swamp lands to wear Boots, all departures over the Cross to carry condoms.
Anyone stopped to think that making passengers wear lifejackets is a crazy thought, imagine how many false inflations there would be, extra wear and tear on equipment, then when they really do need them theyare u/s, unneccessary fear instilled on passengers that are supposed to be having a good time.
I think when jets require passengers to don lifejackets during a departure or arrival over water then we can put it into floatplanes

More important than life jackets is Egress training!!! If you can't get out that is your first and biggest problem. over 90% of fatalities concerned with accidents on water has nothing to do with lifejackets. Go figure.

ATSB should pull their socks up. Is this the only time that they have gotten it so wrong. Please post other times when they have.

Just my two cents worth