PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New routes for Bristols new extension
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2005, 18:38
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Bristol Evening Post carries an article today about the Continental EWR service, saying that "claims have been made by business sources" that the route is failing to hit passenger number targets.

The airline has denied this with a spokesman saying that the load factors are currently at 70% which is "broadly in line" with expectations.

He went on to say that because the airline is new to the route it will take time to build up the customer base to levels they expect, and although there is a huge amount of awareness that the route exists it will take time to convert this into ticket sales.

Continental continue to assert that the route will "ultimately carry 75,000 people a year."

The airport's airport aviation director is still bullish, but he could hardly be anything else in public.

Reading the entire newspaper article, I get the clear feeling that the airline and airport are a bit disappointed but are obviously making the right noises.

I mentioned in my previous post that too many people in this area still seem inclined to look to LHR for transatlantic travel (after all there are those who regard Bristol as an outer satellite town of London), and it might be a longer haul to persuade many of them to use BRS than was first thought.

The old message remains crystal clear: use the route or lose it.