PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prince Willaim's flight diverts...
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2005, 17:01
Gearupandorrf

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Smile Just for Outofsynch.....

Hey Outofsynch-
The irony of your post just cracks me up!
As an Aussie, I'll jump to my Antipodean mates' rescue on this one.

Before you go poking fun at other Nations, which you perceive to be "behind the times", take a long hard look at your own Country first, especially if you haven't experienced the privilege of living and working in another Country (so that you are able to make some kind of meaningful comparison).

Before making those kind of ignorant comments I think that you need to know that Australia and New Zealand are 15- 20 years ahead of the UK in many ways. Englands' Banking system is pre- historic and when I temporarily relocated here from Melbourne two years ago, I couldn't beleive that Chip and Pin was just being introduced. Why? Because I've been using it at home for close to 20 years. I just naively assumed that the rest of the modern World would be using it too.

The same applies to our Public Health system. The guys at work can't beleive how simple, cheap, efficient and effective our Public Health System is compared to the UK's. The basic systems in place here are extremely outdated. Let's not even mention Englands' fithy Hospitals. My Wife needs an Operation soon, so we're spending the 1500 quid to go home and get it done. Haven't heard of MRSA at home.

The same applies to your Roads and Public Transport system. Totally outdated and the whole system is creaking under the strain. I see so many streets that are only wide enough for a Horse and Carriage. By comparison, the same systems in Australia and New Zealand are ultra modern. In fact- so that Melbourne holds onto its "Worlds' Most Liveable City" title, our Urban Planners are currently designing plans for Melbourne for 2030. Some places that I've seen in the UK make the think that Mr. Squiggle has done the planning. In addition, there's no real point in owning a really nice Car in England because of the poor quality of the roads themselves (in general) .

The Immigration system is a favourite of mine. "Quick, quick- we need a new system! I know, let's adopt the one that Australia's been using for 30 years"!

Compared to home, I find that the British mentality is very retrospect. Let's face it, there are too many shows on TV re: what old crap is in your Attic. Aussies and Kiwis are very progressive. We had Microwave Ovens, the Internet and Mobile Phones way before you did.

If you can sense there's a bit of venom in my post, it's because I'm getting utterly sick and tired of the many ignorant Brits who are of the opinion that the "Colonies" are way behind. I encounter this attitude on almost a daily basis. Many of these self professed "experts" have never travelled 50 miles from their birthplace. They simply don't realise that, for the last 40 years, the UK has not progressed as fast as other First World Countries, because they are ignorant. Was your comment borne from ignorance?

If your comment was made out of jealousy, we understand as we are natives of Countries that offer amongst the best quality of living in the World. I watch the BBC news headlines after Work and thank God for my Aussie Passport.

To finish off, let me balance this up by saying that Oz/ New Zealand is not perfect by any means. Also, there are aspects of the UK that I do appreciate. I've met loads of Brits who are great people and am fortunate enough to call some of them friends. These tend to be the ones that have travelled extensively and have a good knowledge of how things are done elsewhere. The ones that I can't stand tend to spout the sort of comments that you have.

Now you know why I'm amused at the irony of your comment.

Have a good day now,
Yours Respectfully,
Gearup.