PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying jobs for low hour pilots in Africa?
Old 6th Jul 2005, 15:31
Flap43

Been down there myself. Loads of flying in South Africa, but wont get anywhere without doing an instructors rating at one school and then flying for them. lots of politics. also you wont be able to go to another school unless you have gained a few hundred hours instruction; plenty of local guys u see, and they get priority. you need a work permit to work there, and cant just expect to pick one up. need it all organised to begin with b4 u go. best place down there is www.43airschool.com in port alfred, just up the coast from PE. good school. similar to oxford or jerez. i would go there if given the chance again.
Botswana and ?Namibia is better places to go as they dont have schools. loads of Kiwis, Aussies and brits! best time to go for Botswana is end of year in Dec and stay till Jan. all seem to hire then. a couple of places in Gaborone, 1 in Francistown and loads in Maun in okovango delta. greta fun. good flying and great booze. bull and bush pub is right next to the runway and apron. liver will get a bashing! best way is to fly to jnb then air boswana to maun. normally 2 yr contract, but lots of hours and pay is ok too! C206 usually.
Namibia is pretty much the same but less schools and places.
send me a pm and i will giv u a lsit of the companies down there that i found.
U WILL ENJOY it down there. proper frontier place.water is brown or black, yes black (depending on levels in the delt!) electricity is on or off whenerver. I loved it!
hope some of the info helps.
Good luck!
POSITIVE - Gr UP!