PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why did you fail your CPL or IR test
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2005, 11:19
Northern Highflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I partialled the IR on my engine failure.

The weather was poor with gusty winds, low cloud. and turbulent weather on the day, and just within the limits to go. Off we went and all was going well until the engine fail. I hit the wrong rudder and immediately recognised my mistake, corrected and continued but it was too late. During my training the instructors generally pulled the throttle fairly quickly but on the test the examiner did it very slowly. After what seemed like an age I detected the yaw and began the recovery, the wrong one. With hindsight I think the turbulence on the day was what I had detected and I reacted too quickly, expecting the yaw as I had seen in my training. The examiner said I handled it well but had just drifted outside the 30 degree limit. If I had kept it within that he would have given me the benefit of the doubt. The restest took all of ten minutes .

That was the only time I had made that mistake and was mortified that I had done it on the test. I even landed with a 20 knot tailwind on the test (so I was told by the examiner) and nailed all the procedures better than I had ever done before.

Moral of the story : don't expect the examiner to do things exactly the same way as your instructors.