PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apache - The Scotsman Strikes Again
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2005, 07:08
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
"Just a point, there seems to be a lot of engineers posting geeky stuff here, can't they go away so us Aircrew types can do what we do best.........."

I’m an engineer. Engineers design and maintain your aeroplanes and, if competent, may then be delegated responsibility for declaring them, and their equipment, safe - before you ever see them. I‘d say you rely a lot on engineers.

I read this forum avidly but do not get involved in aircrew matters. However, what I find interesting is the general attitude toward procurement issues which, almost by definition, is pilots commenting on engineering matters! (And yes, I know some very good people who are both). I contribute when I think I can add something useful, or explain the reasoning behind what, in hindsight, users may think were poor decisions. Quite often I agree with your caustic comments – and the common denominator is usually that the project in question was not managed by an experienced engineer.

I suppose we could go away, but the last time CDP tried to rid MoD(PE) / DPA of engineers was in 1997. He quickly discovered that his non-technical blue-eyed managers had lots of authority, but because they were unqualified lacked the responsibility to sign off things like safety or any sort of technical/financial approval. (Bit of a show stopper in procurement). Authority without responsibility – now that sums up the MoD’s problems nicely.

Fly safely.