PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The never-ending 'Modular vs. Integrated' debate - merged ad nauseam
Old 6th Jul 2005, 02:23
EK4457

Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all.

Basically, after researching this topic to the point of insanity, I have narrowed my choice down to two options:

Option 1 (Modular)

Bear in mind that I'm currntly employed by an airline ops and earn quite good money (for this industry). I'm not in a rush to quit. So, my modular plan is:

Save £5k in the next few months and then go to the US to finish off my PPL. There is a fast track course which claims to do it within a month run by EFT (Florida). I could take the month off as holiday.

When I come back, go down to part time hours at work and enrol on a distance learning course to complete my ATPL exams (Im still deciding which of 2 schools to use). Although hard to say, I think I can do this in 8 months.

Once those are out of the way, I will have fairly easily saved another 5K. This will enable me to go and do my hour building (SA, Canada perhaps).

Once ready for the big boy stuff, either take unpaid leave for 13 weeks (if the boss lets me) or quit my job. Buy a CPL/IR/MEP/MCC package at a reputable school (maybe one of the ones that do integrated). For this I would take out a £20k-£25k loan. Still a lot of money but I could sleep at night.

Then ask for my old job back and be yet another dispatching pilot!

Compare with option 2 (Integrated)

FTE at Jerez where I've already been accepted. I would put forward £20k and take a loan for the rest. Obviously a lot more debt as the course is more expensive, I can work for most of the modular route AND live at home.
Less chance (still some) of the dispatching pilot scenario.

I know a lot of you will say the modular route is the best one. I have to say that it looks very appealing to me for lots of different reasons. The main one is that I can structure it to my timescale and therefore maximising income and minimising out goings.

Just wondered what people's thoughts were, particularly on the realism of my modular option as there are lots out there who have bought the teeshirt.

Thanks,

EK