PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pinnacle Airlines aircraft incident
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2005, 23:57
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I may add the following comments?

"As soon as the stickshaker activates the autopilot will be disconnected automatically. Also the continuous ignition will come on!"

Not quite. But, I know what you mean.
Continuous Ignition commences prior to and in advance of, stick shaker as does the EICAS status message CONT IGN. If either pilot hasn't selected continuous ignition, for a reason, this event is likely telling him/her something isn't normal.

Activation of the stick shaker DOES disconnect the auto pilot and cancellation of the cavalry charge is left to either crewmember.
The way the auto pilot disconnect works in the RJ, is this. If either crew member disconnects the auto pilot, the cavalry charge is heard three times. If the autopilot disconnects by itself, for any other reason, the cavalry charge is continuous until either crew member presses the disconnect button on the control wheel.

"What is the typical total time for the crews involved in these incidents?"

Crew total time varies from pilot to pilot. Period.
There is no monopoly on smarts, knowledge or ability because of total time. Dozing off during flight, reading the Swimsuit issue or newspaper doesn't automatically make you an experienced pilot. No matter how many hours you have. It merely depends on what you did during the time you acquired those hours.

But. The average Regional Airline Captain showing up for RJ training and RJ Type Rating has 15,000 hr, approximately. As most have been flying Saab 340, Jetstream 31/41, Dash 8 and Brasilia aircraft. Some have even flown BAe146s, EMB 135/145s, F28s and F100s.

In my experience, many have also been affected by their company choosing to replace the B737s or A320s they've been flying. So, it's difficult to pigeon hole the Regional pilot.

"I would soil my shorts if I was doing .70 at 410."

How would you feel about 0.57 Mach??? Like these guys.
Well, the truth be known. Many RJ operators have the conviction that the only way to climb this aircraft is in vertical speed for PAX comfort. Unfortunately, the people who know better decided to publish climb speed profiles for the CRJ and it happens to be 290/.70. To date, I can't recall any of the jet aircraft I've flown having a vertical speed profile. I DO recall in most, a caution about a reduction in vertical climb capability on the order of "less than 300 feet a minute" being of significance. RJ students are taught to climb in IAS to Mach crossover and when V/S decreases below 500 fpm, heads up!!!

Funny things can happen when your are off the climb speed profile and trying to "zoom" climb to 41. But let it be said, there is no guarantee to an unwary crew who zoom climbs or V/S climbs to an altitude that may be just beyond aircraft weight vs thrust ability.

"do you put a turboprop guy in as PIC without much training"

These pilots receive sufficient training, for sure.
They are taught to fly the numbers. They are taught where to find the numbers. They are also taught to follow SOPs. When these edics are followed, success results. When they are not...it's up to the flying gods to decide.

But, who's to say what any pilot needs beyond the basic RJ cirriculum, especially when he/she is rarely vocal about what they lack or don't know about high altitude flying.
Isn't that an embarassing dilema for most of us? Human nature, being what it is and all?!

As an RJ Type Rating Instructor it's a tough one to call as the "approved" simulator training syllabus is suppose to cover the widest range of average pilot experience, knowledge and ability immaginable.

Looks like somebody got it wrong.