PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - replacement monitor recommendations
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2005, 23:16
Saab Dastard
Spoon PPRuNerist & Mad Inistrator

Received 292 Likes on 186 Posts
Bre901,

Not worth trying to fix (but do dispose of it responsibly!) - Why pay £50 to get it fixed if you can get a brand new one for not much more?

I would be a little circumspect in going for an LCD screen unless there are particularly pressing reasons for choosing one - and space & heat are very good reasons!

But if these aren't a concern, bear in mind that an LCD screen has a much narrower viewing angle, both vertically and horizontally, is (in my experience) much more susceptible to glare effects and has a (noticably) lower refresh rate than a comparable CRT.

I use an LCD screen (14") with my laptop, a 17" and 19" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro (Trinitron flat screen) on my home PCs and a Sony 17" TFT at work. I find the CRTs better in almost every respect - except for space and heat / power consumption.

The biggest annoyance with LCD screens for me is that every time I shift around in my seat I seem to need to readjust the screen angle to keep it optimised - this is the problem with the narrow vertical viewing angle.

For long periods I find it much easier on the eyes to work with a CRT, especially with text. And I'm comparing identical 1024x768x32 bit colour on a 17" CRT or 17" LCD. Text always seems fuzzier on the LCD panels.

That's my 2p, for what it's worth.

Oh, and don't forget that CRTs are incredibly cheap now!

SD