PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why did you fail your CPL or IR test
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2005, 21:07
Sky Wave

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi

Managed a partial on both the CPL and the IR

IR

Set up my instruments on the ground prior to departure and the first time I would need the VOR the course would be 284 out of SAM. Whilst in the departure I accidentally moved the course knob instead of the heading knob, I quickly reset the course but not well enough. 282 instead of 284. Doesn't sound too much however on the ADSON - EXMOR leg you're about 40 miles away from SAM and you eventually lose SAM. Couple that with the fact that the southerly wind was not as strong as the forecast and I ended up a long way south of track. I should have used a method of cross checking off of BCN, however my Nav had always been spot on in the training and practice tests so I'd never had to cross check it. I ended up about 4nm south of EXMOR.

CPL

Examiner said smoke from the right engine, I didn't interpret smoke as fire, so I throttled the engine back rather than hurriedly shutting it down. I then thought better of it and decided I should shut it off, however since I'd already throttled back I chose to go feather then mixture then fuel rather then Fuel, Mix, Feather, Throttle as is correct for an engine fire. Examiner said should have done fire procedure because there's no smoke without fire. Next he said there was acrid smoke in the cockpit, I thought it's most likely to be avionics so I shut the avionics masters off (touch drill). He said that had helped, so I proceeded to work out if it was avionics 1 or 2. He then said it's getting worse and shutting off avionics no longer helped so I went for batt and alternator and followed the checklist. Examiner said I should have gone straight to battery and alternator. Anyway, on the retake I had a different examiner, who also gave me smoke in cockpit, I did Batt and Alt straight away and followed the checklist, and although he passed me he criticised me for not thinking about the reason for the smoke and said I shouldn’t have just jumped straight into shutting off all of the power (we'd just turned the heater on and he was imagining a heater problem.) You just can't win. Never the less it's all done and dusted now. I’m just about £1200 worse off for it.

Good luck

SW

oops, just seen this post was month's ago. I expect you've done yours by now